When Isaias and I started dating, we would frequent the American Cafe. It was there that I discovered Jambalaya. I have never ordered it... but Isaias seemed to order that every time we went. When I began cooking for him (and having to grocery shop for two instead of just myself, which was easy, because I was on a lovely diet of Ramen noodles and NutriGrain bars), I stumbled across Zataran's Jambalaya rice mix... seemed simple enough, all we had to do was add the meat.
Zataran's is expensive... especially when you consider the small amount they give you in the package. I always found myself having to add more rice... and when you add more rice you have to add more water... and when you add more water, you lose the flavor. Needless to say, I was thrilled when I read a true to it's name Quick and Easy Stovetop Jambalaya recipe in Robin Miller's "Quick Fix Meals" cook book. I've adapted this recipe to my family's taste. It is delicious either way!
Ingredients:
Rice (qty varies for families. I cook mine separately so I can save and freeze the leftover rice.)
2 tsp. Olive Oil
1/2 c. Onion (chopped)
1 Bell Pepper (chopped)
2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
1/4 c. Pickled Jalapenos
1/2 lb Chicken (cut into 1" chunks)
1 tsp. cajun or creole seasoning (I use Tony's)
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 c. Pickled Jalapenos
1/2 lb Chicken (cut into 1" chunks)
1 tsp. cajun or creole seasoning (I use Tony's)
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 lb Sausage (Kielbasa cut into 1" rounds)
2 - 14 oz canned diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
Directions
1) Cook Rice - Set aside
2) Heat oil in a pan and combine onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapenos. Cook for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
2) Heat oil in a pan and combine onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapenos. Cook for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
3) Add chicken until white on all sides (about 5 minutes)
4) Add cajun seasoning and oregano and stir until chicken and vegetables are mixed well with seasoning.
4) Add cajun seasoning and oregano and stir until chicken and vegetables are mixed well with seasoning.
5) Add sausage and cook for 2 minutes.
6) Add tomatoes and bay leaves; cover and simmer until done (3-5 minutes) REMOVE BAY LEAVES.
7) Plate the rice and spoon the jambalaya mix over rice.... or you can mix it all together.


0 comments:
Post a Comment