Flat Bread -- My way

Sunday, May 30, 2010

I have never been much of a sandwich bread type of girl.... I will settle for bagels, rolls, and even english muffins. My favorite type of bread, by far, is flat bread. I usually buy this awesome flat bread from Costco--- I don't know the brand... and no, it's not FlatOut... but I ran out and I wanted to make sandwiches for dinner tonight. (It's a lazy sunday).

Really, this is just a basic flour tortilla recipe-- EXCEPT I added a bit or red wine vinegar, parsley, basil, and garlic powder. 

Yields: 9 flats

Ingredients:
3 c. all purpose flour (see note)
3 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp veg oil/canola oil
1 c. water
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Olive Oil

--NOTE: you will find yourself adding more flour for dusting so it's not so sticky.


Directions: 

1) Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl. (I find it easiest to mix together first with a fork (until crumbly) and them really meld it together with my hands.)
2) Roll dough into 3" balls. Set aside and cover. Let rest for 30 minutes.


3) Use a rolling pin to roll each section out on a surface dusted with flour. Use your discretion for thickness. I prefer  roughly 1/8" thick. You can be precise and roll into perfect squares or rounds... but if you enjoy the uniqueness of imperfection, make them odd ball shapes.
4) Heat skillet to medium heat.
5) Brush olive oil onto the side that will go down into the skillet first. Place on skillet. Brush other side with olive oil.
6) Flip once bubbles start to form (about 30-40 seconds). Cook other side for 30 seconds.



7) TA-DA! Remove from skillet and set aside. Repeat until finished.



Behold! Chicken salad on my homemade flat bread!



0 comments: