Coaster Saturday!

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Tile Coasters:
These are really simple and inexpensive to make! I bought this tile at Lowes... home depot didn't have a nice selection. Each tile ran $0.38. So it's really cheap! Steps are as follows:

Materials:
1. Unglazed Tile (you can buy them 4"x4" at most home improvement stores
2. Sticky-backed Felt/Cork for the bottom corners so they don't scratch fruniture. I found mine @ target in the flooring section. I'm sure Lowes has them too... I just didn't look.
3. Stamps
4. Ink (staz on works best. I used Pigment/Chalk ink, too... BUT when I did, I had to use a few extra coats of the fixative)
5. Spray Fixative/Varnish.

How-To:
1. Select a tile, stamp, and ink to use.
2. Stamp the tile.
3. Let ink on the tile dry.
4. Once dry, go to a well venelated area (outside is fine) and spray on the fixative/varnish.
5. Wait for varnish to dry. Lightly rub your fingers over the surface... if the ink appears on your fingers, spray another coat of fixative.
6. Once fully dry, flip over and attach sticky backed felt/cork to each corner.
7. Sit drink on top.

**NOTE** Given the nature of most unglazed tile, there will be chips and divets in the surface/edge. If the tile is not packed, be sure to pick the smoothest ones... if they are packed, it's okay-- They aren't that terrible. Just be sure to note where your are placing your stamp in relation to the chips and divets.

**SECOND NOTE** Being that these are handmade items, do NOT immerse them in water. Lightly wipe them clean with a damp cloth... or else you will risk ruining them.




Posted by Picasa

0 comments: